Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

a heart of wisdom

A heart of wisdom

Where is wisdom to be found?  Proverbs tells us:
"Does not wisdom call?  Does not understanding raise her voice?  On the heights beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand; beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance to the portals she cries aloud:
'To you, O men, I call, and my cry is to the children of man.  O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense.  Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right, for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips.  All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.  They are all straight to him who understands, and right to those who find knowledge.  Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her'" (Proverbs 8:1-11)

Hear again the voice and the warning and the hope of wisdom from Proverbs, chapter 1:
"Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the market she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
'How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?  How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?
If you turn at my reproof, behold I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you.
Because I called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one heeded, because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you.
Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devises.
For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them, but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.'"

Are you seeking wisdom? 

James tells you where to find it:
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives graciously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.  For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways" (1:5-9).

Paul writes this:
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is" (Ephesians 5:15-17) and then this: "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

In whom do you find wisdom? 1 Corinthians 1:30-31 tells us:
"And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, 'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.'"

Where does one go to gain a heart of wisdom?  To the Lord and to the Bible, the giver and the gift of the giver of the heart of wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home