Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Detour, or Not What I Planned to Write About
Well, some days ago I was writing this entry for my blog about King Nebuchanezzar.  The draft seemed to be going well.  Then I was nailed.  Reminded of memories I'd rather forget.  Doesn't everyone have those?
What did I remember?
When I went to college, I was pretty sure of myself, at least where academics were concerned.  I'd never felt confident in any athletic endeavor or anything physical for that matter.  I focused on the academic and activities related to that.
My initial foray into college proved less than successful.  I took on too much in every respect.  Then my Dad made a decision which, in retrospect, was the last straw.
After less than two years, I was presented with two alleged options:  finish that term and not have the possibility of ever being readmitted or leave then with the possibility of having another chance some day.
Which option would you have taken?
I took option two, and after something more than a year, was readmitted on probation.  By the grace of God, I did complete college.
What particular Scriptures would come to mean a lot to me as a consequence of all this and bring King Nebuchadnezzar to mind?
1 Corinthians 1:18-25, 30-31:  For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart."  Where is the one who is wise?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.  For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Chriust the power of God and the wisdom of God.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
Jeremiah 9:23-24 puts it this way:  Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth.  For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."

1 Comments:

Blogger wagamama said...

We make plans, but God directs our path.

My life is NOTHING like what I expected it to be like at my age, but I have to constantly tell myself that God knows more than I do! :)

Thanks for reminding me of that truth.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home