Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What If?
I am juggling the reading of several books these days.  Well, nothing new in that.  Today I found myself thinking about Romans 8 and how that has been working out in my life. 
Back in June,1971, shortly after I graduated from college, I was hit by a city bus in Minneapolis.  I was not in a car or any other mode of transportation--no mode other than my own two feet.  I have no recollection of the actual event.  As far as I knew, one second I was waiting on the curb for the light to change and the next I was flat on my back in a hospital ward and a nurse was asking me if I knew who the people with her were.  Well, yes, of course--they were my parents and sister.  I wondered why she didn't know.  And I went back to sleep.
While I was home, recovering, several people pointed out Romans 8:28 to me.  The verse didn't make as much sense to me then as it does now.  Not that I am again flat on my back after being hit by a bus.
I could go into certain "what ifs" in my life prior to and subsequent to that event, but the scarier what ifs have to do with God's character.
I am so thankful that He is the same as when He created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them; that He is the same as when He called Abraham; as when He sent His Son incarnate to die sinless, bearing my sins, the consequences of my sins; as when He rose from the grave triumphant.
I am thankful that every word written in the Bible is still profitable for teaching, for doctrine, for reproof, for training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17).  I am thankful that Romans 8:28 is still true because He is.  So we can say what Paul said:  "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home