Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Essentials of This Christian's Convictions


So Sunday the verse for my fellowship group was 2 Timothy 2:15: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."


In my youth, "Study to show thyself approved" is how I recall that verse starting.


Then, over at http://www.teampyro.blogspot.com/ I read a so-called rant by Dan Phillips which he titled, "Getting by on Christian vapors: a rant," and was again reminded of how easy it is to not be diligent but to be routine in Bible reading rather than study.


Our small group Bible study has been reviewing the subject of prayer. I came across this verse in Colossians 4:2: "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving." I had to admit that too often my prayers are perfunctory rather than passionate--not unlike my reading rather than studying of Scripture.


So this week had its double whammy--which I am thankful for. There are times God needs to slap me upside the head, in a manner of speaking, to bring me to my senses.


How about you? What has He done with you lately?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Resident Writer said...

I've been reading The Ten Commandments by Laura Schlessinger and Rabbi Stewart Vogel. It is a great reminder of God's absolute holiness, which I think sometimes gets swept under the rug by Christians as we focus on His grace and the free access we have to God through Christ. This book has revolutionized the way I think, pray, read, spend my free time.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home