Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Aging--another post regarding aging and middle aging


Recently I again picked up LOST IN THE MIDDLE Midlife and the Grace of God by Paul David Tripp. I am about half way through that again. Then I read posts at two of my favorite blogs regarding experiences of aging. Today, I went to the dentist. Later, I am scheduled to be seen by the periodontist.

So where am I going with this post?


What is the difference between growing old and aging? Between growing old and only becoming old? Growing while old or just becoming old? Growing while aging or just aging? Is it between rage and resignation or passive and active or denying reality or joyfully living in reality?


Facing and facing up to change I can rearrange only so much of detour and delay before I have to pay reality's price. No cards to hold or dice to toss against this loss. Only two hands--shall I cover my ears or block my eyes? There is no prize or altered fact. The season in fixed in each element. Crows chide my attempt to hide, deride and raucous sound forth truth. Of all created, man alone embraces lies and, fallen, causes all created to die. Sounds rather glum--at least to some.


But that is not my final choice.


Midlife Archaeology: Digging for Dreams


Unearthed:
Empty pots of common unmarked clay,
Cracked here, broken off there,
Any one-time contents long gone, dried away;
So, pitch the pots,
Hear the tinkle of smashing,
The tinkle of smithereens,
Grab broom and dust pan,
And make both past and future clean.


Did these once hold dreams?
Any dreams once contained evaporated
In the heat of day in and out life.


Or, is there a residue in a protected corner?
No, there are no corners in a pot's roundness,
And the handle's cracks
Rivered away any that play
Thesis carried
Drained in the sands of
Inevitable time.


"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us"


[inspired by reading LOST IN THE MIDDLE by Paul David Tripp and 2 Corinthians by the apostle Paul]


A Prayer at MidLife


God, whatever dreams
Are in my heart or mind,
Be formed and conformed
To your heart and mind,
Be fashioned to fit
As you would have it,
Have them, have all, in all;
And may I first stand back
And watch you do
And then do with you,
And give you the glory
And praise and honor
Whatever your chosen dreams
For me, the good deeds
You have with my name on them
May I embrace with all my heart
Fulfill whatever you would start,
Father God, whatever,
For your glory
Is my will,
And I shall be still
Waiting on you,
And then to do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home