Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas and forgiveness

This morning there was a special Christmas celebration for those of us who volunteer at the Grace to You media ministry in Southern California. Of course, several carols were included as we worshiped. One we sang was "Silent Night." Two lines struck me this time: "Radiant beams from Thy holy face, With the dawn of redeeming grace."

It is this sacrifice of inestimable value which makes it possible for us to enjoy God's forgiveness.

A dictionary defines "forgive" as to give up resentment of or claim to requital for; to grant relief from payment of; to cease to feel resentment against (an offender); PARDON.

A Bible dictionary calls forgiveness "an act of pardon."

Synonyms of this include "wipes out" (Isa. 43:25); "forgiveness" (Matt. 26:28); "pardon" (Isa. 55:7); "remember no more" (Jer. 31:34); and "heal" (2 Chr. 30:18-20) [Bible index].

Isa. 43:25: "I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgression, for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins."

Jer. 31:34: "And they will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brothers, saying 'Know the Lord,' for they shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the Lord, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

How could this be? Through "redeeming grace," free yet the most costly gift ever purchased.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home