Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Thinking back on the 46 years since June 11, 1971

Friday, June 11, 1971, I was sideswiped, as a pedestrian, by a city bus in Minneapolis. I had been on my way to meet a friend for lunch.

One minute, I was standing on the sidewalk, waiting for the light to change; the next minute, or so I thought, I was flat on my back in a hospital ward.

A nurse came over to me, my family in tow. She had one question: Did I know who those people were? I thought that an odd question. "My parents and sister," I replied, and passed out.

I do recall asking my mom, while I was still in the hospital, why my chest hurt so much. Like any mom, she peered down my gown. She saw bruises and went to find out their cause. I slept. Later, she told me that the ambulance people had had to restart my heart by pounding on my chest. That was news to me. I have, thankfully, no memory of the accident or having to be revived that way.

Oh, nothing was broken, though I had a badly bruised left foot, and a mark on my left temple. The doctors told my parents if I had been hit a little more in one direction I would have been blind in that eye, a little more in another direction and I would have been dead.

It was never resolved as to what exactly happened to land me in that hospital ward. I was released on Sunday, June 13, to complete my recovery at the family home.

On crutches for a few weeks, wearing a bread wrapper on my swollen foot, I even got to spend some time serving as a Bible camp counselor. The kids did not take advantage of the situation.

The Lord graciously gave me 46 more years of life that day, years I have begun to reflect on. Future blog posts will expand on this.

As Proverbs 16:9 put it: "The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home