Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Personally


A week ago, I asked for prayer as my mom was in the hospital and we didn't know how she would do. The day after that blog post went out, she was released from the hospital to recover at home. She does have a long (3-6 months) period of treatment yet, but we are thankful she is still with us.

Psalm 90 so relates. Verses 10-12 read: "As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, or if due to strength eighty years, yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; for soon it is gone and we fly away. Who understands the power of Your anger and Your fury, according to the fear that is due You? So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." (My mom has exceeded that eighty year span already.)

Garry and I have been reading through Psalm 119 together. I find these verses apply to me in what I consider my afflictions, which are nothing like my mom's:

"Remember Your word to Your servant, in which You have made me hope. This is my comfort in my afflictions, that Your word has revived me" (verses 49-50).

"Teach me good discernment and knowledge, for I believe in Your commandments. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word. You are good and do good; teach me Your statues" (verses 66-68).

"I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are righteous, and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me. O may Your lovingkindness comfort me, according to Your word to Your servant" (verses 75-76).

"If Your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have revived me" (verses 93-94).

I find this passage from Peter's first letter also encouraging: "After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen" (5:10-11).

Please continue to pray for my mom and my sister, who has primary care of our mom in addition to working full time. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally got here! Very timely words for me too!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home