Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Establishing Priorities, Part 4


For those who are in Christ, we establish our priorities according to His, which we find in the Bible.

Considering a Familiar Passage as an Example

Jesus speaks at the end of Mathew 11: "Come to Me, all who are weary and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30; NAS).

The weariness and heaviness of which Jesus is speaking may be that which sinners experience prior to coming to Him, finding rest in the place of their sins' burdens.

Once in Christ, they know the precious reality of 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (NAS).

The yoke may be that of being joined with Him in sanctification, going in union in the direction He sets.

Learning from Him requires our being diligently in the sixty-six books which make up Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:1-21), submitting our minds and hearts to His Holy Spirit (John 15:26-16:15).

As Jesus is gentle and humble in heart, so, given time, will we be gentle and humble as well (Philippians 1:6; 1 John 3:1-3).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Lord is trying to get my attention concerning the Matthew 11 verses. It keeps coming up in things I am reading. I pray He would work in me gentleness and humility.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Lord is trying to get my attention concerning the Matthew 11 verses. It keeps coming up in things I am reading. I pray He would work in me gentleness and humility.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home