Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Establishing Prorities, Part 2

Last week, we looked at Exodus 20:3-4; Psalm 23:1-3; John 10:14-16; Psalm 90:12; Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 119:33-38, 133; Romans 6:14; Ecclesiastes 12:13-14; and 1 Corinthians 15:58, as well as commenting on the abundance of guidance to be found in Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and James.

Today, I am telling you some of my story when it comes to establishing priorities.

Years ago, when I was single, I found myself saying "yes" to every opportunity for ministry which came my way. Well, what real Christian can resist ministry?

One day, I collapsed at work. Embarrassing? Yes, and followed by making a number of phone calls to explain that I would no longer be available for said ministry.

I realized my calling, then, was to focus on my employment and get my strength back to do that.

Establishing priorities means asking the Lord, "Is this, whatever 'this' is, what You want me to say ';yes' to for now?"

Establishing priorities means living fully within the limits He puts on our lives, whatever form those limits take.

Establishing priorities means saying, "Thy will be done," as a blank check.

Establishing priorities requires being in the Word and in prayer as your life breath, day in and day out.

Establishing priorities brought Garry and me to this passage years ago: "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.' Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that'" (James 4:13-15).

2 Comments:

Blogger Faithwalker said...

"...The Scripture/Word & Prayer as your life-breath in & out.." That may not be an exact quote but it sure does hit Home with me! ty ... as ever .. :-)

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who always ends her plans for the day or whatever with "Lord willing". I've started to do that some myself.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home