Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The place of the pencil in sanctification

For a number of years, I have been brought back to James 4:13-17 multiple times in various circumstances.  This is where James rebukes those who have made plans without apparent thought for the Lord's will in the matter.  Perhaps I find myself in this and similar passages because I forget or because I don't consider the situation one needing prayer.  Don't we all at one time or another think, It's not something to worry Him about?  I should be able to deal with this myself?  Etc?
The pastors in my fellowship group/Sunday school class (Gracelife, Grace Community Church of Sun Valley) have been preaching from the book of Proverbs recently.  One message was on Proverbs 16:9:  "The heart of a man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps."
This is why the title of this post is "the place of the pencil in sanctification."  We can prayerfully plan--and doing so is mandated elsewhere in Proverbs--but it is also imperative that we realize the Lord determines the outcome of each plan, and not fight Him, but trust Him.
Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great sermon. Can't wait to listen again.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home