Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Answered Prayer, for Daniel and for Me

Daniel 9:20-23:  "Now while I was speaking and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God in behalf of the holy mountain of my God, while I was still speaking in prayer, then the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering.  And he gave me instruction and talked with me, and said, 'O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you insight and understanding.  At the beginning of your supplications the command was issued, and I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed; so give heed to the message and gain understanding of the vision.'"
I don't want to leave my study comments on Daniel without this notice of Daniel's answered prayer.  Daniel gives us the context and then Gabriel's comment.  How wonderful it must have been for Daniel to hear that he would receive the insight and understanding he so wanted.  We can be sure that he gave heed to the message and gained understanding of the vision.
I can't exactly compare my recent experience of answered prayer to that of Daniel.  However, it seems like a good time and place to praise God for His dealings with me.
Like many, I struggle with anxiety regarding the future and know a lot of Scriptures which help me with that tendency.  From time to time, I am tempted to regret the past--second guessing decisions taken long ago, wondering if I had missed God's better will regarding education or job choices, etc.
Recently at church, I was thinking along those lines and wondering who could help me find verses to help me through this, praying almost casually in my mind as I struggled.  Before I had the opportunity to mention this to anyone, the Lord began to direct me to a number of passages, including these two:
Ecclesiastes 7:10:  "Say not, 'Why were the former days better than these?'  For it is not from wisdom that you ask this."
Philippians 3:12-16:  "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Jesus Christ has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call in Christ Jesus.  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained."
Since He brought these and others to my remembrance, I have shared them with several others, and decided to put them on today's blog also; watch for more in the next weeks as I continuing praising Him for answering prayer, even before it has been completed in thought.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home