Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The first of a series on Bible study and prayer using Psalm 111 and Daniel 9 as models

If it works out, I am going to spend two months going through a John MacArthur book, HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE.  Why, after years in church, would I do this?  The Bible answers that question in Psalm 111:  "I will praise the LORD!  I will give thanks to tthe LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.  Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them (v.v. 1-2.)"
Daniel was a student of Scripture.  In the opening verses of Daniel 9 we see this:  "In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of Median descent, who was made king over the Chaldeans--in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, observed in the books the number of the years which was revealed as the word of the LORD to Jeremiah the prophet for the completion of the desolation of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.  So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplication, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. (v.v. 1-3)"
I will leave this blog entry with three points:
1. Daniel's study of Scripture led to his observation and that led to his prayer, supplication, etc. mentioned in verses 1-3.  How often do our studies of Scripture lead us to prayer, etc?
2. Daniel was a man of prayer but this seems to be only the second of his prayers recorded for us (remembering his prayer in chapter 2 after God answered his request.)  My intent is to spend the next weeks unpacking the prayer in Daniel 9.
3. Deuteromony 7:9 came to mind as I read Daniel 9:4:  "Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him  and keep his commandments to a thousand generations."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home