Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

For the Work of Ministry, 1
Recently I found myself contemplating the following section of Ephesians 4:  "And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceiftful schemes (v.v. 11-14.)"
What are the tasks God has given to the five named categories above?  There appear to be two:  to equip the saints for the work of ministry and to build up the body of Christ until ....
I have been thinking about the expression, "to equip the saints for the work of ministry," asking what the work of ministry might be which the saints are to undertake. 
Romans 12:6-8 seems to provide seven categories:  prophecy; serving; teaching; exhorting; contributing; leading; and mercy. Interesting the order in which they appear.  Who but God would place serving between prophecy and teaching, or leading after giving?
One last comment for this week comes from James 3:13:  "Who is wise and understanding among you?  By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Creative Carl said...

Your thoughts bring me peace and satisfaction knowing that I am saved and the Lord is my Lord.

7:42 PM  
Blogger wagamama said...

I pray that I will show my works in the meekness of wisdom! Thanks for that, E-Beth.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home