Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Prayer and Sin, or, Sin and Prayer
Last week I wrote about Psalm 19:12-14. Then this past Sunday, Pastor Don Green unpacked it in GraceLife. Of the three main points he made, the middle one hit me, for he pointed out that, as in Matthew 6:13a--"Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil"--in Psalm 19:13, David is praying for protection from potential sin. David asked, "Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins. Let them not rule over me; then I shall be blameless, and I shall be acquitted of great transgression."
Well, I confess I had missed praying for protection from this committing of presumptuous sin, thus in fact committing presumptuous sin, being arrogant, vulnerable--slow to realize this. Even "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" is something I have seen differently since that morning, having heard that message.
Consider anxiety--besetting sin. Philippians 4 says, "Be anxious for nothing" but my mental retort: "Not for nothing, but for something specific, regarding something particular" compounds sin, adding arrogance, fear's mask, anxiety, unbelief.
Waiting for a ride recently, pacing, I realized as a dependent for rides, perfectionism is an issue of control for me--again indicative of unbelief.
Have you noticed how often sins can be traced to unbelief? How often discontent can be? Which I relate to anxiety--see also Matthew 6:32-34--and breaking the tenth commandment--"You shall not covet."
So while it is good and necessary to pray for forgiveness for sins we have committed [known to us and known only to God], it is equally necessary to pray for protection from sins we may commit, temptations God knows we will face, and to humble ourselves in advance. Then, with David, we can pray more confidently, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer" [Psalm 19:14].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home