Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Biting the tongue won't do it

Sunday in Gracelife Don Green preached/taught on Psalm 19:7-11, having tackled vv. 1-6 the previous week. I couldn't keep from reading the rest of this psalm: Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

Confess, neither of us can discern our errors or our hidden faults. Presumptuous sins--well, what does the word "presumptuous" indicate is going on? But that isn't all we face in this passage. Like the psalmist, we have to admit that we cannot make ourselves blameless or innocent, and not just of "great" transgression. Our sin is not just [just! as in merely] one of the lips [words of my mouth] but rooted in our hearts [meditation of my heart]. It is our heart disease which we need the Great Physician to deal with first, and last.

As a man thinks in his heart--or a woman in hers--so is he/she.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home