Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Forgiveness
The church I attend has a communion service once a month and I always look forward to that time. Frequently the passage read is from 1 Corinthians 11:23ff. In Matthew 26, we read the words of the Lord as He established His supper. Verse 28 says: "For this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins." It took me years to realize that He said that His blood was poured out for many, not, poured out for all.
How could the blood be limited to many rather than being shed for all?
Isaiah 55:7:
Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts,
And let him return to the LORD,
And He will have compassion on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.
If the wicked does not forsake his way or the unrighteous man his thoughts and return to the LORD, he or she will not enjoy God's compassionate pardon.
Repentance is required, which is shown in the forsaking of the wicked way and of the unrighteous thoughts
As you or I or anyone repents, we are given abundant pardon, not stingy, not parceled out grudgingly, but abundantly from our compassionate Lord and God [a definition of compassion: suffering with another--imagine God doing that!]
Matthew 4:17 tells us that "from that time [after His baptism and 40 days including those of temptation in the wilderness] Jesus began to preach, saying 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'"
In Luke 5, after the call of Levi [later known as Matthew] "the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying 'Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?' And Jesus answered them, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." [ vv. 30-32; ESV]
After Jesus fed the five thousand, we have this recorded in John 6:35-40:
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but will raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
Comfort Food
"Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." [Matt. 11:28-30]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home