Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

How Scripture Profits Us (Part 4)

Paul wrote to Timothy, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness" (2 Tim. 3:16; NASB)

This post is the fourth in a series. The first dealt with "All Scripture," the second with "profitable for teaching," and the third, "profitable for reproof."

How does "profitable for correction" differ from "profitable for reproof"? Let's look at some passages.

In Leviticus 26, the Lord lays out rewards for obedience and punishments for disobedience. Beginning with verse 11, there is a series of "if"s and "in spite of"s. In these we find the following: "If in spite of these things you do not accept my correction but continue to be hostile toward me, I myself will be hostile toward you and will afflict you for your sins seven times over" (26:23; NIV).

In Job, Eliphaz speaks to Job: "Blessed is the one whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty" (5:17; NIV).

Job responds to Eliphaz: "Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong. How painful are honest words! But what do your arguments prove? Do you mean to correct what I say, and treat my desperate words as wind?" (6:24-26; NIV).

Later, Elihu speaks to Job: "God is mighty, but despises no one; he is mighty and firm in his purpose. He does not keep the wicked alive but gives the afflicted their rights. He does not take his eyes off the righteous; he enthrones them with kings and exalts them forever. But if people are bound in chains, held fast by cords of affliction, he tells them what they have done--that they have sinned arrogantly. He makes them listen to correction and commands them to repent of their evil" (36:5-210; NIV). Elihu assumed that Job needed harsh correction because of hidden sin, having sinned arrogantly.

Elihu continues in Job 37:10-13; NASB: "From the breath of God ice is made and the expanse of the water is frozen. Also with moisture He loads the thick cloud; He disperses the cloud of His lightening. It changes direction, turning around with His guidance, that it may do whatever He commands on the face of the inhabited earth. Whether for correction, or for lovingkindness, He causes it to happen." So God uses even weather as an instrument of correction.

In the last chapters of Job, God speaks to Job: "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer Him" (40:2; NIV).

Job rightly replies: "Then Job answered the LORD: 'I am unworthy--how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer--twice, but I will say no more'" (40:4-5; NIV).

In Proverbs 3:11-12; NASB: "My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD or loathe His reproof; for whom the LORD loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights." See the Lord as Father when He corrects us.

In Proverbs 6:20-23; NIV: "My son, keep your father's command and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them always on your neck; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and instruction and correction are the way to life."

Later, in Proverbs 9:7-8; NASB: "He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, and he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man and he will love you." This is a warning of sorts as to what responses to expect to words of correction.

Further, in Proverbs 10:17; NIV: "Whoever heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray." Our behavior influences others.

And in Proverbs 12:1; NIV: "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid."

Further, in Proverbs 13:18;NIV: "Whoever disregards discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."

Another warning comes in Proverbs 15:10; NIV: "Stern discipline awaits anyone who leaves the path; the one who hates correction will die."

Proverbs 15:12; NIV: "Mockers resent correction, so they avoid the wise."

Proverbs 15:31-32; NIV: "He who heeds life-giving correction will be at home among the wise. Those who disregard discipline despise themselves, but the one who heeds correction gains understanding."

Jeremiah also spoke several times on the matter of correction.

"'Your own wickedness will correct you, and your apostasies will reprove you; know therefore and see that it is evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God, and the dread of me is not in you,' declares the LORD GOD of hosts" (12:19; NASB).

"O LORD, do not Your eyes look for truth? You have smitten them, but they did not weaken; You have consumed them, but they refused to take correction. They made their faces harder than the rock; they have refused to repent" (5:3; NASB).

"Correct me, O LORD, but with justice; not with Your anger, or you will bring me to nothing" (10:24; NASB).

God's promise through Jeremiah 46:28; NASB: "'O Jacob My servant, do not fear,' declares the LORD, 'for I am with you. For I will make a ruin of all the nations where I have driven you, yet I will not make a full end of you; but I will correct you properly and by no means leave you unpunished.'"

Judgement on Jerusalem: "Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled, the oppressing city! She listens to no voice, she accepts no correction. She does not trust in the LORD; she does not draw near to her God" (Zephaniah 3:1-3; ESV).

Habbakakkuk had this perspective on those God used: "Are You not from everlasting, O LORD my God, my Holy One? We will not dies. You, O LORD, have appointed them [the Chaldeans] to judge, and You, O ROCK, have established them to correct (1:12; NASB).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home