Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

When Someone You Love Has Dementia

I have been thinking a lot about this. My mom is 97 and has walked with the Lord for more than 80 years. His will is that she has developed Alzheimer's Disease. While continuing to work full time, my sister Susan has borne the major experience of seeing this development.

What have I been learning as my mom's other daughter?

Proverbs 3:5-6 is one of many truths--"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight"--and thus gives one direction.

James 1:2-5 is also pertinent: "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given him."

Facing my own lack of ability to do anything to change the situation my mom is in, I turn more to the One who can strengthen us all for the long haul.

I learn, painfully, what my limits are--what the limits of any human are; what comfort there is in trusting the One who never changes, who never slumbers nor sleeps, who is always there no matter the time--day or night---who is indeed sufficient for all of life's challenges.

When Dad died unexpectedly 24 years ago, and since, this has become a source of encouragement: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride." Selah. (Psalm 46:1-3).

Isaiah 26:3-4 has become more significant to me recently: "The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You. Trust in the LORD forever, for in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home