Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Forgetfulness and the Consequences Thereof

On any given day, Facebook has a way for you to review your memories from years past. It made me think about how quickly we forget, whether a national catastrophe or a personal, precious memory.

Who remembers hurricanes or tornadoes or droughts or floods or earthquakes past unless they have been affected by them? Or on a more sweet side, sermons or Scripture passages which seemed so significant at the time?

I suspect it is our tendency to spiritual forgetfulness that is behind all of the reminders the Bible includes.

We forget how God has met our needs, and then we become anxious. So we find ourselves needing what Paul wrote: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

We forget how God has manifested His power, and then we become fearful. So we find ourselves where Jeremiah was: "Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and the bitterness. Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me. This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. The LORD's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:19-23).

We forget how God has manifested His wisdom, and then we become nervous. So we find ourselves where the Psalmist was: "Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence" (Psalm 42:8).

We forget God. We look around or within for the answers we need. So we find ourselves needing to remember what Peter wrote: "Seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins" (2 Peter 1:3-9).

Finally, we need to remember the Lord's own words: "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful" (John 14:27).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home