Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Intimacy of the Eternal with His Own

Psalm 139 especially speaks to the intimacy of the Eternal with
Each of His own:
"O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thoughts from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain it" (verses 1-6).

These days I feel so much of the "enclosed behind and hefore,"
"Hedged in" as another translation buts it.

While I do not particularly enjoy this time,
I can also see it as a time of protection, of provision,
His hand laid upon me that I might rest when I might not otherwise do so.

My Shepherd knows me even better than I know myself.

Later in Psalm 139 we have these verses:
"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me together in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them" (verses 13-16).

So these are among the days that were ordained for me,
And I will rejoice and be glad therefore;
These days are not an "accident," unforeseen by the Lord
But ordained for me.
And during them I will pray as the Psalmist in 139:
"Search me, O God, and know my heart,
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way" (verses 23-24).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home