Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Prayerlessness, a confession
I had two other posts in mind, but this third one is the one I have to write today.  I thought about calling it "to pray or not to pray" because that is the choice we all make every day about every circumstance. 
If you are like me, you pray about many if not most circumstances/situations whether they involve you directly or someone else.  But there are probably a handful of times where you don't even consider prayer an option.  You know, those smaller matters where you ought to be able to handle them yourself. 
Examples?  Personally, the time the desktop froze and instead of praying I got all excited [anxiously].  Providentially Garry was able to deal with it and it defrosted.  The little blinking light on our new dishwasher?  Baffled but not prayerful.  The repairman couldn't find anything wrong with the components after running diagnostic tests.  Garry reset our hot water heater.  No prayer before that either but God has graciously kept the dishwasher working since.  And plumbing issues have occurred twice in the last five days.  I think "plumbing" and "panic" start with the same letter intentionally.  And when we have plumbing problems, my usual response is not prayer but panic.  Hey, why bother God about something so mundane?  Not that I "think" that but I might as well given my behavior in these situations.
What is the point of this?
When I decide--intentionally or not--to not "bother" God by praying about the "little" things, I sin--panic etc.
When I realize that to Him nothing which is of concern to me is too small to bring to Him, I am free to pray rather than panic and then to praise rather than being rattled.
Note: This morning Garry wasn't going in at his usual time as someone was scheduled to check something else out in our condo.  Shortly before he was going to work, the phone rang.  It was someone from our condo association office about the plumbing problem from yesterday. 
When we'd not heard from the association's contacts yesterday, we'd had a friend from church who is a plumber come. We had three wastebaskets under the leaks in the hall.  
Doug graciously stepped in and helped out, which was a great relief.  I didn't relish the idea of the leaks continuing during the night.
The person from the association told Garry we'd be reimbursed for that expense--which we had not expected--and take care of repairing drywall and replacing damaged ceiling panels.
How had we prayed?  Not for the reimbursement but for wisdom in dealing with the drywall and the panels. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home