Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Transparent
For a while, it seemed that "intentional" was the word/concept many used.  It would seem that has been superseded by "transparent" as in "the most transparent administration ever."  Because I have head this adjective used often, I decided to see how it is defined.  I went on-line and found these definitions:  (of a material or article) allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen; easy to perceive or detect; having thoughts, feelings, or motives that are easily perceived; (of an organization or its activities) open to public scrutiny; transmitting heat or other electromagnetic rays without distortion; (of a process or interface) functioning without the user being aware of its presence.
How might the adjective, "transparent," be rightly applied to a Christian?
Using the first definition--(of a material or article) allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen--I thought of this from 1 Peter 3, that we always be ready to give an answer for the hope within us.  For that hope to be obvious, a certain transparency is required.  The second definition also pertains:  easy to perceive or detect.  If my faith is clear, then it will also be transparent.  Having thoughts, feelings, or motives that are easily perceived--the third definition--is also easily connected, with this caveat from Proverbs 4:23:  "Guard your heart, for from it flow the issues of life."
Like it or not, a Christian's life is "(of an organization or its activities) open to public scrutiny" both as an individual and as a member of their church.  When I look at the definition of transparent as "transmitting heat or other electromagnetic rays without distortion" I am reminded that I am to transmit the truth of God's word equally without distortion.
The final definition--(of a process or interface) functioning without the user being aware of its presence--reminds me of what John the baptizer said regarding Jesus:  "He must increase and I must decrease."  I must be transparent so that Jesus can be clearly seen.
Let me add this note:  I cannot be or be becoming this kind of a transparent Christian without the on going work of the Holy Spirit (cf. Phil. 2:12-13 as an example.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home