Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fruit and Seasons

An on-line sermon by John Piper on the Psalms ("Songs That Shape the Heart and Mind") brought Psalm 1, verse 3 back to my thinking. It speaks of the righteous man: "He is like a tree planted by streams of waters that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers." (Psalm 1:3; ESV)


The phrase, "fruit in its season," especially caught my attention. I have to confess that sometimes I look for fruit when it is not its season, and that discourages me. But the Lord himself has this to say: "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing." And, "By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." (John 15:4-5, 8; ESV)


But who is the source of the fruit? How can we bear such fruit? The Spirit is the source, as we read in Paul's letter to Galatians: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (5:22-23; ESV)

Is there an age limit to fruitfulness? Not according to Psalm 92:12-15: "The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the LORD is upright; he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him." (ESV)




Abide, and be encouraged as the Spirit takes Christ's life and causes it to flow in and through you, making you fruitful in God's way and time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home