Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

First, a prayer request, if you read this. Pray for Cris T. who broke her hip and is scheduled for surgery today. After the surgery, she'll be in hospital for a week or so, then in a rehabilitation residence, if I understood correctly, before being able to go home.

My surgery was planned weeks in advance but this came about under different circumstances.

After my surgery, which did take place as scheduled because that was God's will, came the time of recovery. I did not respond well to not being well, as the following entries illustrate.

[1]
It's hard to be this weak, this needy, this depepndent,
When I'm so used to
Making Garry's lunch and cleaning up after meals,
Doing laundry and ironing,
Dusting and vacuuming,
Moving things around,
It's hard to ask for help.

I wish I could go away until I'm strong
Until I am healed
Until I am not a burden
Until I am not needy

I wish I could go away
Not burden Garry day after day with my weaknesses

I wish I could

I wish I could
Not be a drag
Not wear him down but huild him up

It's hard to be this weak, this needy, this dependent,
So easily exhausted,
Looking so well when I'm not

It's hard

[2]
Alone, I can cry,
But otherwise must put a bold face on,
A face of mask;
Do not ask which face I show to you;
Knowing will not do;
Alone, I can cry;
God alone knows why.
God alone my comfort is,
God alone my strength,
God alone, before whom alone
I can cry.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Resident Writer said...

Maybe the single hardest and most humbling thing about needing help is admitting it-or even worse, asking for it. It's taken me years to ask for a helping hand, and even now friends and family ask me in frustration why they have to twist my arm before I let them help me. Its hard, when your'e used to being the strong one, the one who helps those in need.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Ebeth said...

So true.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home