Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Tribute: Reflections on A Birthday

Today is my husband's birthday. Back in 1985, when I first heard of him I was not interested in meeting him. I had left everything behind to do graduate work and that was my focus.

I had everything figured out. I would complete my degree in 18 months and go back to Minnesota, where I would live and work.

But God had other plans. It took me twice as long to finish, which left time to become acquainted with Garry. I realized that he was the man I had waited for. Our interests were similar. I could discuss theology with him or sports or history or any number of other matters. I still can. And call him both my in-house theologian and my in-house editor.

Garry's middle initial is D.

I tell him that stands for "dedicated, or determined, or deliberate, or detail-oriented." Those who know him know those words apply.

Scripture generally breaks giftedness into two categories: speaking gifts and serving gifts. Garry's are in the area of serving, and have been for as long as I have known him. He serves whenever and wherever and whomever. He is celebrating this birthday by serving in the a/v area at church.

He has been serving me as I recover from cataract surgery. He served me when I went through other surgeries over the years, also.

He is an honorable man, and I am honored to be his wife.

1 Peter 3:7: "You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as someone who is weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed learning more about him.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home