Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Peace, Part 2

In Matthew 5:9, Jesus proclaimed, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."

Yet in Matthew 10, He would make this startling statement: "Do not think that I have come to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW, and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD" (Matthew 10:34-36).

Certainly this would have been one statement that pierced His mother's heart as Simeon had prophesied, recorded in Luke 2:34-35.

Certainly this has been the experience of many families since Jesus made this statement.

What did He promise in terms of peace for those who experienced such enemies in their earthly families?

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful" (John 14:27).

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home