Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Anniversaries

Anniversaries
Last week an anniversary passed which I used to take serious note of. As I prepare to move and go through boxes of once-significant items, I realize that can be said of much.
In 2001 there were attacks on New York and the Pentagon and the thwarted attack that ended in a field in Pennsylvania. Those attacks seemed to unify this country and her allies. We were all patriots then. We mobilized and took on our enemies. Now?
In the early 2000s there were scandals in journalism; I found reams on them while going through my files. Then I thought, 10 years ago these were house-hold names few would recognize now. Ten years aren't that many but our memories are soon over-written.
Almost 20 years ago, we got a phone call from one of my aunts. My Dad had passed away between Saturday night and Sunday morning. That changed every significant date since, including Father's Day.
So there are anniversaries and there are anniversaries, and what is meaningful at one time to one person or one family or one craft or even multiple countries, quickly falls into the category of "just" history.
Tempus Fugit or Carpe Diem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home