Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Divine Armor Supplies All Power

Listening to the sermon by Nathan Busenitz on Ephesians 6:10-18 over live stream from Grace Community Church, I was struck by verses 10-12: "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil,  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." Because of that, verse 13 begins, "Therefore, take up the whole armor of God..."
I had realized some years ago that my salvation--any one's--is a gift of God purchased by the life and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  But I was confused for a long time about the matter of sanctification--the growth which follows salvation.  God saved me, but did He leave me to make my own way through life after that?
Eventually I realized  that wasn't the case, though I had lived as if it were.  Philippians 2:12-13 clarified a lot:  "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."
Even so, what impressed me when it comes to the warfare believers are engaged in is that is is God's armor and strength and might that I must rely on, not mine.
Mine is puny and easily used up.  His is eternal and endless.  However, it has to be accessed, appropriated, appreciated, applied.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous barbara mason said...

Sure does change your life when you learn to stop relying on your own power and tap into His!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Roger Mason said...

Your blog is very encouraging to me.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home