Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Sunday, December 06, 2009

When the Common is Uncommon
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23
I would guess that many if not most memorize this Psalm while doing Scripture memorization programs. It becomes somewhat like the passage we know as the Lord's Prayer: common, rote, rattled off w/o much thought.
While we were on our trip in October, I spent a considerable amount of my quiet times thinking about Psalm 23 and the common became uncommon to me.
The LORD--not just any lord but The One and Only Lord
is--not might be or just hoped for
my shepherd--guide and provider and discipliner
He makes me lie down--which I might not think of doing
in green pastures--sweet and full meeting my needs
He leads me--or I might not go there
beside still waters--necessary for nourishment as much as green pastures are
He restores my soul--and do I not need this daily?
He leads me--me! personally
in the paths of righteousness--again, very specific
for his name's sake--so remarkable that his leading of me is for his name's sake; more to think about: his name


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home