Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Selected Scriptures and Personal/Physical Limitations

As one of those people with limitations for as long as I can recall--even longer than I can recall--I have gone through a variety of emotions: resentment, anger, resignation, finally reconciliation and realization. Realization?

Psalm 139:1-6 reads: O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out by path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. How often have I felt hemmed in, limited, and not seen this as wonderful?

Yet, as David wrote in this intimate psalm: For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them. (v.v. 12-16)

Given, then, that God was involved in those ways in my creation, how could I be angry or resentful or resigned? Instead, through this and other parts of Scripture, I became not only reconciled to my present (not eternal) imitations, but also realized that there are benefits to them, somewhat in keeping with these: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

I have found a lot of consolation in these verses from Psalm 119 also: This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life (50); Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word (67); It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes (71); Your hands made and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn your commandments (73); I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me (75); Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant (76); If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction (92); I am severely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to your word! (107); Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight (143); Look on my affliction and deliver me, for I do not forget your law (153). By the on-going grace of God, then, I have moved from resentment, anger, resignation, finally to reconciliation and realization that these limitations (temporary) are part of God's process of sanctifying and making me useful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home