Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Define "Fair"

I rather ranted and raved over the weekend. Something I had looked forward to was finally going to happen. And it didn't work out as I expected. So did I say, "praise the Lord; it is as He planned" No, I questioned the fairness of the situation--or the rightness of His will, to be blunt about it.

One of the most frequent thoughts any of us have in response to a given situation is--"it's not fair!" Oh? This whole matter of "fairness" can range from the computer not working even after being repaired to the check which ought not to have bounced because there were sufficient funds to cover it to changes being made to a ministry we're committed to which we don't understand the rationale for. And in each instance the reaction--"It's not fair!"--is something we need to rethink.

What's not fair? That our expectations are different from reality? That we don't have control we think we deserve? That someone else has made a decision which impacts us without asking for our input in it?

When did God stop being in charge? Is He only sovereign when His will is the same as mine? Is His will not always perfect, even when my perception of it isn't?

And when I realize that His will is always perfect, I can stop ranting and raving and start worshiping and resting--after repenting.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Cherie said...

I think it's hard to come to the conclusion that His will is always perfect. I mean...doesn't He always need our help and our input? How can He do this all by Himself?
If I've learned anything over this past year, it is that I know Nothing...and I can do Nothing without Him. And it is such a comfort to know that His will is perfect.
It's wonderful to know our "rantings" are from forgiven ones. :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger ChristLover said...

The idea that I'm entitled somehow to things being a certain way (my way) could be connected to living in consumerland, no?

3:06 PM  
Blogger The Resident Writer said...

Good post!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home