Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Meditations on a Tuesday Morning

In the beginning God,

And through all time,
Both outside and inside of time,
The Holy and Divine,

Our Father who is in heaven

Created the heavens and the earth
With purpose and with glory and with perfection.

Hallowed be Your name

--let me recognize that Your Name is Holy already and behave accordingly.

Your kingdom come,

Your will be done

--am I willing to see that?
--am I willing to participate in that?
--am I willing to obey that?

On earth as it is in heaven

--immediately
--joyfully
--fully
--reverently

Give us this day

--not yesterday
--not tomorrow

Our daily bread

--this reminds me of these verses:
Proverbs 30:7-9:
"Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me. Lest I be full and deny You and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."

And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors

--presupposes a willingness to forgive on our part
--and times without number

And lead us not into temptation
--to quote James:
"Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God,' for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He Himself tempts no one."

but deliver us from evil

--"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."

For Thine is the kingdom

--eternal kingship
--the realm in which Your will is fulfilled

and the power

--sovereignty
--authority
--jurisdiction
--dominion

and the glory

--praise, honor, distinction
--renown
--worshipful praise, honor, and thanksgiving
--magnificence
--eternity

forever.

Amen.

--Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home