Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Right Remembering vs. Yearning for "The Good Old Days"

Years ago, after a major household move, I wrote several poems, which were all forward-looking rather than chock full of reminiscences. This year, as I have been making photo albums as gifts, I have enjoyed thinking about the years since those photos were taken, not just getting caught up in remembering when the events took place.

Why is this important?

Ecclesiastes 7:10 states, "Do not say, 'Why is it that the former days were better than these?' It is not from wisdom that you ask about this."

Reminiscing is one thing, but yearning for the "good old days" is something clearly forbidden by this verse.

What is the difference? Let's consider several of the psalms as well as looking at Lamentations 3:22-24.

In Psalms 42 and 43, the psalmist is distressed and yet encourages himself by remembering and anticipating in Psalm 42, verses 5 and 11. And again in Psalm 43, verse 5, we have this refrain: "Why are you in despair, O my soul, and why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."

In Psalms 77 and 78, Asaph encourages first himself and then the nation to recall the deeds of the Lord, remember His wonders, and meditate on both His words and deeds--history experienced.

In Psalms 106 and 107, the nation is encouraged to remember God's deliverances, and Psalm 107 ends with this: "Who is wise? Let him give heed to these thing, and consider the lovingkindnesses of the Lord."

In Lamentations 3:20-24, Jeremiah poignantly states: "Surely my soul remembers, and is bowed down within me. This I call to mind, therefore I have hope. The LORD's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I have hope in Him.'"

We need to remember the goodness of the Lord instead of yearning for the "good old days" and having such nostalgia drag us down. His lovingkindnesses never cease and His compassions never fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home