Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Trials, Part One

After Job learned that his possessions and his children had all been taken from him, this is how he responded: "Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and worshipped. And he said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.' In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong" (Job 1:20-22; ESV).

After Job's health was taken, this is how he and his wife responded: "Then his wife said to him, 'Do you still hold fast to your integrity? [Remember, she had lost her children, too.] Curse God and die.' But he said to her, 'You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?' In all this Job did not sin with his lips" (Job 2:9-10; ESV).

Many chapters later, face to face with God, Job said this: "Then Job answered the LORD and said, 'I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this  that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. 'Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you will make it known to me.' I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes" (Job 42:1-6; ESV).

Years ago, the women's Bible study I attended studied the book of Job. Job did not know why he underwent the trials he did. The same is sometimes true of us. Like Job, we have to humble ourselves and trust God at such times.

At the end of that Bible study series, I wrote the following; how do we identify and recognize and respond to trials?

Terms and Trials

Terms and trials:
When is the thing just annoying?
When is it really adversity?
When is it a loss of sleep?
When sovereignty gives way
And tranquility is absent,
Doom and gloom on the ascent,
Sighing is strangling,
When sovereignty is absent
And tranquility gives way,
When God is too appearance-distracted
And I can only sway,
Wondering what to grasp
Of terms and trials,
Arrogance and denials,
Sleepless in my sleep,
Loneliness increasing deep;
Spiral this way and that,
Cry like an almost four on her mat.
Terms and trials--
Neither is for naught--
Victory for each
Already Christ-blood-bought.
Rest, O heart and restless mind--
In His holding comfort find!
Already Christ-blood-bought,
Rest, O heart and restless mind--
In His holding comfort find!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Faithwalker said...

"Cry like an almost four on her mat" kindof left me a bit challenged for interpretation & application, but I think I get the jest.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home