Tuesday's slice of bread

A weekly post premised on this: Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord (Prov. 16:20)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Florence, Kentucky, United States

married to my best friend, writer, teacher, avid reader, occasional poet, volunteer

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Wisdom gleaned from Jeremiah, among others

This passage has been on my mind recently: "Thus says the LORD, 'Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on the earth; for I delight in these things,' declares the LORD" (Jeremiah 9:23-24).

Wisdom, might, and riches can either be gifts or traps. Think back to what Eve's thought process was in Genesis 3: "When the woman saw that the tree was good for food [might], and that it was a delight to the eyes [riches], and that the tree was desired to make one wise [wisdom], she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her and he ate" (Genesis 3:6; bracketed notes mine).

First John 2 reiterates this warning: "Do not love the world nor the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever" (1 John 2:15-17).

Let us give thanks if we, by God's grace, understand and know Him--the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on the earth--and trust His provision, whatever it may be.

Let us pray this prayer from Proverbs 30: "Two things I asked of you, do not refuse me before I die. Keep deception and lies far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches, feed me with the food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, 'Who is the LORD?' or that I not be in want and steal, and profane the name of my God" (Proverbs 30:7-9).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home